Onam Payasam Recipe: Here are numerous varieties of ‘payasam’. One is in which rice, wheat or vermicelli is boiled with milk and sweetened with sugar. It goes by way of the call of ‘friend payasam’. Another is manufactured from boiled rice or dal or wheat, to which is delivered jaggery and coconut milk. Both are flavored with spices.
|Dried red rice||180gm|
- Boil the milk. Add sugar and mix well. When it boils again, add the washed rice in it. Simmer in medium flame. Cook till the rice is done. Serve hot.
|Cardamom||two or three pods|
- Heat the ghee and fry the vermicelli till light brown.
- In the meanwhile, boil the water. Add the vermicelli to the boiling water and cover it. Keep stirring occasionally. Once the vermicelli becomes soft, add the sugar and continue to stir. Put the saffron in the milk and dissolve it, add this milk to the vermicelli. Powder the cardamom and add it to the mixture. Then fry the cashew nuts and almonds in ghee and add these. Mix well and boil for about two minutes. Your payasam is ready and can be served hot or cold.
|Dry ginger powder||10g|
- Grate the coconut. Add1/2 glass warm water to the grated coconut. Extract the first milk. Extract the second milk by adding 1 1/2 glass warm water. Again repeat the process to extract the third milk.
- IFry broken wheat lightly in one teaspoon ghee. Cook the wheat well in 1 1/2 liters of water.
- When it is done add the third milk and the second milk to the heat and bring to a boil. When it thickens to a semi-solid consistency, add powdered jaggery. Add the first milk, fried nut, raisins, powdered cardamom, ginger, and cumin. Mix well and remove from fire immediately. Serve hot.
|Parippu (Green gram dal)||250gm|
|Coconut milk||from 2 coconuts|
|Cashew nuts, Raisins||for seasoning|
- Fry dal till light brown. Clean and boil the fried dal well.
- Heat jaggery with some water and make a thick solution. Take milk from the coconut thrice. Keep the thick milk taken 1st, aside. Add the 2nd and 3rd milk and the jaggery solution to the boiled dal. Simmer on medium flame till thick. Fry the cashew nuts and raisins in ghee. Add these and the 1st milk to the payasam. Mix well and remove from fire.
Also Check – Onam Pookalam, Athapookalam Images, Onam Pookalam Design, Onam Pookalam Designs Outline, Onam Pookalam Photos, Onam Pookalam Pictures, Simple Pookalam Designs, Simple Pookalam Designs For Home